Thursday, March 19, 2015

ABSENT WITH EXCUSE

I'm sure some of you wondered if there would be any further posts. I guess this answers that question. There's more of Bill to share. I know I've missed some important dates, but I have been absent with excuse. Last April I started my worst year. I started experiencing a little pain in my left foot. A few days later, it got so painful I could barely walk. I attributed it to having slid down a few stairs at home onto a hard tile floor. I thought I had a deep bruise. As few days later, an infected area appeared on the bottom of the foot. I thought nothing of it. My wife put some antibiotic ointment on it. Two days later, the infection was really bad. Off to the doctor, where I was diagnosed with cellulitis. They gave me oral antibiotics and for a few days it began to look better. Then, almost overnight it took a turn for the worse. I returned to the doctor and was told to go to the hospital. At the hospital they discovered that MRSA had gotten into the infection. They started me on IV antibiotics and the next day they informed me that too much flesh and tissue had been destroyed by the MRSA - I would need to have a partial amputation of my left foot. On April 20, 2014 (Easter Sunday), they took the 3 small toes and a bit of the left side of my foot. The healing process has been interesting, but it looks like I might finally be reaching the end of my disability. So, I decided it's time to move on with other things. And so, here I am, posting again. I hope you'll join me on this path that is a long way from its end. - Phil Bukowski

No comments: